Friday, January 4, 2013

The Kitchen Table- day 4 (365 project)

When I was taking a blk and white photography class at City College Annette Fournet was instructing the class. One day she ,Annette, told me that an image I had done reminded her of Carrie Mae Weems and she thought I would really enjoy her. She was absolutely correct (btw - loved that class and Annette-her website http://aefournet.com). Carrie Mae Weems did a series called "The Kitchen Table Series" and this really reminded me of that series. Inspiration , yes. Close to it ..no . I have posted a photo from that series at the end of this page .
I was watching little Mahlia play with her tea set as we often do together and I thought of how children so often don't engage in play that would let there imagination run anymore. Instead they sit and play on phones, computers, etc. This is the way of the world. I wanted to show in my photograph that the engagement in play is not there but directed towards the gadget. We just need a balance , all of us. Believe me I get caught up as well, but I like to play, feel the sun and soil in my toes. thanks to my grandbaby for working with me and following instruction oh so well to get the shot. wish I could of cleared everything out from the kitchen and just had the table...to much going on to focus on the main subject. Maybe I will photoshop all of it out later. Had to have a posting today. this is one image from The Kitchen Table Series by Carrie Mae Weems carriemaeweems.net

No comments:

Post a Comment