Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Doomsday Clock is not ticking - day 17 (project 365)



I don't watch the news on "boob tube" (that saying has no relevance anymore because televisions don't have tubes now---ha ha)  to often anymore, but go on the web to see what is going on a little and find some interesting things sometimes.   I happen to come across a story about the Doomsday Clock.  I have to be honest that I didn't even realize that this was actually in existence, although may have heard mention of it before.   Apparently in 1947 there was a board of directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists that created this symbolic clock face to represent how close the world is estimated to be to global disaster.   It is gaged by international events, wars, political climate, then- global nuclear war, and more recently climate change and  "new developments in the life sciences that could inflict irrevocable harm".    
As of this Monday they have left it at 5 min. till midnight "doomsday". In 1947 it was set at 7 minutes before midnight.  It has been adjusted plus or minus over the years ( 20 times) .  Obviously these scientist don't have a good prognosis for humanity.   For centuries it has been the same and different challenges.   

In reference to me.....it just is one more reminder and something symbolic to me whether how much resistance I receive to pursue my art ,in my young but ripe age, to keep on doing what I love.    My Doomsday Clock is not tickin'!




No comments:

Post a Comment