Friday, April 19, 2013

Real Beauty- day 108 (project 365)



Yesterday a friend posted a link on my Facebook page about the Real Beauty project by Dove.  This particular clip is with some women and a forensic artist.  They are asked to describe themselves to him as he sketches them  on the other side of a screen without seeing them and then he ask one of the other participants to describe the person he had just sketched as well.   In the end both sketches are revealed ...... it is amazing how we see ourselves.  (http://mashable.com/2013/04/15/dove-ad-beauty-sketches/)

  Most of us will look for all the imperfections and concentrate on those things.   I  myself have had issues with my self perception and can tell you all the things that are seemingly wrong with my outer-self. --- big forehead, vericose veins, hands that have always been rough with veins (hard working hands),  stretch marks,  15 pounds overweight,cellulite and even more with age crows feet, splotchy skin, sagging and bagging....on and on and on.    I am the hardest on myself with those little things that are just that "little" in the big scheme of things.   Wanting to take care of yourself and look your best is different from an ill body/self perception of self.  As women we might say those little things out loud  that our daughters and granddaughters pick up and carry with them that creates that same skewed  view of themselves.  There are so many ramifications , most of all lack of confidence and self pride.  What needs to be said is to love who you are , every wrinkle, dimple, dip, bump, curve, curl and color of what makes you that unique individual.   Love every little bit of yourself.   Coming - out of my comfort zone - and sharing is the first step towards healing the view I have of myself. 

 I thank my friend for sharing what she thought  would remind me to see  clearly the real beauty in myself and to embrace it. 

















1 comment:

  1. I just went through all of you pictures GOOD JOB!!! Very creative and inspiring .......Dondi

    ReplyDelete