Sunday, February 24, 2013

Black Honey- day 55 (project 365)

I still had my mixture of paint , honey and water available and not ideal,  I continued with painting myself as inspired by photographer Leah Gordon (the participants use syrup, water and charcoal).   Leah Gordon has documented the Kanaval in Jacmel ,  a pre-lenten mardi gras in Haiti from 1995 to 2009 I believe (book called Kanaval) .  My next gift to myself will be this book.    The images are haunting as well as beautiful .    This carnival celebration is a little different because of the people that participate make their own  compelling costumes that represent political, historical , religious, mythical and spiritual representations of the region.   They paint their bodies black and have ropes with horns or adornment to represent the struggle and freedom from slavery.  Many with mask and hoods with hidden faces.   Most or all participants that do so are male . The people have stayed true to their roots and luckily have not had modernity of the corporate influence involved which makes it such.   Unfortunately as what I have read that after the earthquake a few years back it may not take place anymore. 

I had a beautiful visual and wanted my son to allow me to be a participant in my vision , but no go......so again I am the subject matter.  I hope to continue on this vision in a more complete narrative .    As I was photographing myself  I was asking the ancestors to guide me showing the pain endured as being captive.   Well, besides the images being pretty intense for me,  the honey was drying on me with the rope I was really in pain .   I don't even recognize myself in the images and and feel I  invoked my  Haitian/African ancestors in these images as I truly felt pain, however nothing in comparison to what any endured.   The final image is some the bruises that appeared on me after this creation and experience.   

I honor my father and my ancestors  and humbly give thanks for the life I am able to live !!!!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment