Friday, December 6, 2013

Mandela- day 345 (project 365) 12-6-13

As the world knows Nelson Mandela has left this realm.   Not that I am surprised by my own reaction of crying when I heard on NPR driving in my car.    It was evident that his time on this earth was soon coming to an end months ago  and even then I felt shocked.

What was going through my head?    I honestly was thinking this is an end of a generation of warriors, those who fought for not only their lives but others, a different time.   Don't get me wrong , I know there are new warriors and will be those that have a voice and impact.   Am I being nostalgic?   Maybe.

I was in high school when I first really was aware of what was happening in South Africa and this system "Apartheid" , and realizing just that some 20 plus years before in America it didn't seem so different.   Although so many things in high school were so trivial , I started really paying attention.    I remember getting a shirt "Stop Apartheid" and wearing it so proudly- I was making a statement and saying I am with you Nelson Mandela , people of Africa , people of the world !!!   What did that really do?   Nothing of an impact except for myself realizing that I was not taking a blind eye to the struggles that exist, I was conscious and aware and that was a beginning.  

So to all of you past and present on those front lines, I salute you.   To those quiet soldiers , you tread softly and in strength...I salute you. 

The fight is far from  over for South Africa, may Nelson Mandela's spirit continue to strengthen the people of South Africa and inspire the world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment