Friday, April 15, 2011

community healthcare adventures

For a week now I have been trying to fight off a bug caught by those around me, and to no avail I could not dodge it any longer. Last night, as the past few, Theraflu has been my friend so I could function. My ears felt like they were going to explode....well that is pretty dramatic, so this morning I headed to the community health clinic. Like many.I do not have insurance. It always is quite an adventure waiting early to get seen that day and although I have been fortunate not to have to go often I always people watch and had decided to take my camera along to document my visit.

There was an older woman who was waiting in line for her elder mother waiting patiently in the car. We had small conversation me with my very limited Spanish and her broken English (which was the theme for the morning and made me realize I really need to work harder at habla espanol. My father would be horrified with me by now). Another woman was crocheting purses out of soda tabs. It is pretty amazing how creative people can be to use something that most think is useless to sustain yourself in someway. That is someone who will never go hungry.

I was touched when a little girl who was learning to read in english brought her book and sat down with me and started to read to me and I was helping her as well. I wanted to take a photo of her, but I didn't want to freak out her mother.

So I was finally called back and checked out by a wonderful Muslim sistar and I have an ear infection in one ear and one starting in the other. No wonder I felt so awful. My poor grandbaby had the same thing going on.

Went to pick up my prescription and while there another little girl came up to me and gave me a book to read to her while she was waiting for her grandfather. She said " will you teach me to read , just like a teacher?" Absolutely I did.

My spirit was open today and not bogged down with foolish nonsense and the children new it.

Funny how things happen. I have always wanted to follow in my father's footsteps and work with kids teaching them art and the many things that come with that, expression, confidence, ability to do anything they set there minds to. i am teaching myself those same lessons after so many years. The universal powers are telling me something and have been lately and i am listening to take those steps to make it all happen. I realize it may not happen all in one day , but I trust that I have been given some time to continue to make it happen.

Although it has been a bit uncomfortable for me today physically , its been a most beautiful day. As I have said before and been told, "If this is the only thing I have to complain about, I am doing just fine"
























No comments:

Post a Comment