Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Robinsons

Around my birthday I made a short road trip up to Julian, with my road dog. I had been before but always wanted to go up and spend some time taking some shots of the cemetery specifically . Julian as I was aware holds a lot of history and black history at that. Albert and Margaret Robinson ran the Hotel Robinson in the late 1800's - 1915 successfully and had people and dignitaries come from all over California to enjoy their hotel. Albert Robinson is buried in the cemetery along with his mother-in-law, and the Robinson's daughter. I found it interesting when visiting the museum and speaking tho the historian there that no one knows what happen to Margaret after Albert's death. Apparently she sold the hotel , worked there for a while and then just disappeared. Another African American, Fred Coleman (a free man) discovered gold in the hills there and started a gold rush in the area. I believe in the early 2000's they were able to locate the graves of the Robinson's and new head stones were erected. Of course the history of Julian is so much more expansive than what I have mentioned here. I just found it interesting that so few people know of the Black History in the area, let alone the history of Julian as a whole. These are things from what I remember and if you would like to research or visit the museum and the historian there is awesome....he will give you information above and beyond anything you might have imagined. The museum there has tons of memorabilia from natives in the area, gold mining, tools, shackles, buggies, period clothing and crafts.(Julian Pioneer Museum). Julian is beautiful. From the cemetery you can see all the peaks and valleys. The white horse in these images was so majestic to me and he was on a break from working the tours I believe, and didn't seem to interested in me at first but finally warmed up to me and we walked together and was interested in my camera for sure. I couldn't forget the pie...mmmm mmmm. My favorite is the apple-rhubarb.... It was a beautiful day trip for a nice little get away and drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment