Sunday, January 24, 2010

haiti

This last week has been pretty emotional for me. The earthquake that had hit Haiti has had an impact on many of us whether connected or not. It is truly beautiful to see so many world citizens being giving in one way or another.

I also felt the burning desire and need to contribute in a fashion that I could. Of course the constant images and ideas in my head manifested into a creation that I printed on a t-shirt for sale to donate the proceeds to Yele Haiti to assist in the efforts now and in the future. I will continue to sell it as long as someone buys them and donate for a long time to come. Of course I have other ideas for the long haul. Actually it is a good cause even after the fact. The people of Haiti have had a long hard road for hundreds of years politically & economically.



So a poem (so to speak) that I wrote the other night in many ways sums it up for me. My format may be incorrect. I am sure someone will let me know.



1791



I hear the voices
my Haitian ancestors
the vibration of sound
songs of pain, loss, love, strength
fill the air

reminiscent of the voyage
so long ago
taken from their homeland
to the Caribbean
and far off lands

drums beat
just as the hearts
of the people of Haiti
with hope for a better today
and tomorrow

for the children

the vibrant colors of the land
as vibrant as the spirits
and culture
a land of beauty
a land of much suffering

mahogany, cream, burnt umber, obsidian
the shades melt together
as one
just as I
so many rivers flow through my veins
yet I hear the cries
great grandmother Dulcia
grandmother Dulci
my father
and those before they

I sit thousands of miles away
so far removed in many ways
longing to speak the tongue
of my father
to say
"I feel your pain & sorrow"

it took the Earth to shake
to awaken the world
to pay attention

what shall the future bring?
will those be forgotten
when the streets clear of
dust
concrete
and the pungent
odor of death

As in New Orleans?

Erzulie- heal the womb of Haiti

Spirit of Toussaint- rise again

Fight Haiti
for your future
reclaim what is yours
cry freedom

remember 1791
Be Triumphant

1 comment:

  1. I love your poem! Especially the fifth verse. It's beautiful and sad at the same time. I prayed for the people of Haiti at church tonight. I hope enough aid will reach them soon. Luv you! Char

    ReplyDelete